Sunday, July 6, 2014

Icon Analysis

My first popular culture icon is the Harley-Davidson motorcycle. It is manufactured by the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. The company was started in Milwaukee, WI in 1903. Harley-Davidson has become a classic American icon, which appeals to both men and women. My second icon is Uncle Sam, the popular symbol that represents the USA. People all over the world recognize the Uncle Sam image. My third icon is Michael Jackson, one of the greatest pop culture icons of the 21st century. Examiner.com states the he “changed the cultural and artistic landscape.”

I chose Harley-Davidson because I became interested in motorcycles about five years ago, and Harley-Davidson was the most recognized brand in my country, Turkey. I have a friend who owns a Harley-Davidson. To me, Harley-Davidson represents freedom. I am also really impressed that a Harley-Davidson owner can customize his or her motorcycle to reflect his or her personality.


I chose Uncle Sam because everyone I know recognizes that the Uncle Sam picture symbolizes the US. . The first time I saw the “Uncle Sam” poster, I thought he worked at a circus (maybe it was the hat), but then I found out he actually symbolizes all Americans.
Finally, I chose Michael Jackson because he made such artistic and cultural contributions to the world. To me, Michael Jackson means supreme creativity and innovation. He always will be larger than life to me and much more of an icon than Elvis will ever be.  

2 comments:

  1. Micheal Jackson will always be a legend in my eyes, no matter what they accused him of this man changed music and dancing that know one could ever compare. He is iconic in so many different ways, our children's children will know about Micheal Jackson, from music, movies, going to Vegas, LA< NY and everywhere els.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some really good icon topics. I wouldn't think Harley Davidson would be very popular in other countries, that is really cool. I have always wanted to own one but don't know the first things about motorcycles. Michael Jackson is perhaps the most famous musician of all time so I can't argue there, it's a shame he isn't around anymore to continue his success. Uncle Sam is a great idea, most people from other countries probably see that image in their heads while thinking about the USA. I think that picture is both good and bad for our country.

    ReplyDelete